Saturday 19th July 1902
Byron J. Carter, manager of a Jackson bicycle shop, along with founding partners, George A. Matthews, a buggy manufacturer, and Charles Lewis, once Jackson’s biggest employer as owner of a spring axle company, formed the Jackson Automobile Company, on Hupp Street, Jackson. Carter was its first vice president. In 1905 he left to form the Motorcar Company in Jackson, featuring his friction drive car and naming it “Cartercar.” The new variable speed transmission used friction discs, not gears, and also allowed the car to brake by reversing the lever. Carter developed his friction-drive system with parts from a corn sheller. Responding to the problem of other friction-drive cars failing in wet conditions, he developed an aluminum friction disc with a cardboard traverse wheel lining.